Goldmines Quotes and
- Never comes mortal utterance so near
to eternity as when a child utters words
of loving praise to a mother. Every
syllable drops into the jewel box of her
memory to be treasured forever and ever
(George B. Lyon).
- If you don't laugh at trouble, you
won’t have anything to laugh at when
- What you do not understand, treat with
reverence and be patient, and what you
do understand, cherish and keep
(Augustine of Hippo).
- You are younger right now than you
will be ever be.
- You can keep folks from having a bad
opinion of you, but you can keep them
from being right about it.
- There’s trouble in the home when
mother is a soft voice and father is a
- We teach more by what we are than by
what we say and do.
- The cooing may stop when the honeymoon
is over, but the billing will probably
go on forever.
- The sanctity of marriage and the
family relation make the corner-stone of
our American society and civilization
(James A. Garfield)
- Vows made in storms are forgotten in
- Babe Ruth struck out 1,330
times. So keep on swinging.
- If someone says he can do at 60
everything he did at 20, he probably
wasn’t doing much at 20.
- Nobody has enough money or other
resources to buy back his past.
- Your reputation is what people think
you are. Your character is what you and
God know you are.
- "If you do not feel yourself growing
in your work and your life broadening
and deepening, if your task is not a
perpetual tonic to you, you have not
found your place." -- Orison Swett
- "Another belief of mine: that everyone
else my age is an adult, whereas I am
merely in disguise." -- Margaret
Atwood, Cat's Eye, 1988
- "Learning is not compulsory... neither
is survival." -- W. Edwards Deming
- Life is not measured by the number of
breaths we take, but by the moments that
take our breath away.
The trouble with
those who stand up for their rights is that
they usually sit down when it comes to
Attempting to shirk
responsibilities is like trying to run away
from your shadow. It goes wherever you go.
The rights of
others are seldom considered by those who
demand their rights.
responsible for what they say and do. No
- “A man’s character is like a fence—it
cannot be strengthened by whitewash.”
- “The greatest glory of a freeborn
people is to transmit that freedom to
their children” (William Havard; from
Trib-Bits, Decatur, IL Herald).
- About the time we learn to make the
most of life, the greater part of it is
- Cold feet may be a sign your soul is
- Many things that are learned by
experience should not have been learned
- Sometimes a man holds opinions and
sometimes they hold the man.
- The most sought after labor saving
device for a woman is a man with money.
- There is a difference between the
books that men make and the Book from
God that makes men. The Bible is often
rejected by the world which is put off
by people who supposedly are produced
and directed by it. How could anyone be
expected to accept and respect a Bible
which Christians neglect and a God they
represent so poorly
- As a plant upon the earth, so man
rests upon the bosom of God. He is
nourished by unfailing fountains and he
draws, at his need, inexhaustible power”
(Ralph Waldo Emerson).
- Modesty is the first line of defense
for sexual purity (1 Timothy
2:9-10)- A Long, Hot Summer, Neil
W. Anderson, editor, Gospel Advocate,
September 2007, p. 3.
|SOME VIEWS OF GOVERNMENT
“I contend that for
a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a
bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
handle.” (Winston Churchill)
“A government which
robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.” (George Bernard Shaw)
“Government is the
great fiction through which everybody
endeavors to live at the expense of
everybody else.” (Frederic Bastiat,
French Economist, 1801-1850)
“Giving money and
power to government is like giving whiskey
and car keys to teenage boys.” (P.J.
cheap—except when Congress does it.”
“I don’t make
jokes. I just watch the government and
report the facts.” (Will Rogers)
-Submitted by Don Henwood
- "Do not let anyone claim the tribute
of American patriotism if they ever
attempt to remove religion from
politics." (George Washington from his
Farewell Address to the nation.)
- Don’t give God instructions—just
report for duty!
- The task ahead of us is never as great
as the Power behind us.
- The will of God never takes you to
where the Grace of God will not protect
- Abraham Lincoln once said: “It is your
business to rise up and preserve the
Union and liberty, for yourselves, and
not for me…. I appeal to you again to
constantly bear in mind that with you,
and not with politicians and
office-seekers, but with you is the
question, ‘Shall the Union and the
liberties of this country be preserved
to the latest generation?’” - Trib-Bits,
- POLITICIAN: A person who stays in
office, not by solving problems, but by
- A NOTABLE QUOTE: "It is an infallible
reminder that our greatest hope and
faith rests upon two mighty symbols-the
cross and the flag; the one based upon
those immutable teachings which provide
the spiritual strength to persevere
along the course which is just and
right-the other based upon the
invincible will that human freedom shall
not perish from the earth." --Gen.
- “The riches that are in the heart
cannot be stole” (Russian Proverb)
- “The principal objective of American
government at every level should be to
see that children are born into intact
families and that they remain so.”
(Daniel Patrick Moynihan)
- Democracy arises out of the notion
that those who are equal in any respect
are equal in all respects; because men
are equally free, they claim to be
absolutely equal. (Aristotle, 384 -322
- Diplomacy is the art of making your
guests feel at home when you wish they
- Patriotism is often an arbitrary
veneration of real estate above
principles. (George Jean Nathan; 1882 -
- The secret of success is sincerity.
Once you can fake that you've got it
made. (Jean Giraudoux)
“Freedom of the press belongs to the man who
owns the press.”
“Someone has said that freedom is like a
handful of sand. The second you relax
any of your fingers, it starts slipping away
IN THE BALANCE:
“It is freedom itself that still hangs in
the balance, and freedom is never more than
one generation from extinction.” (Ronald
THINK ABOUT IT—
“It never occurs to fools that
merit and good fortune are closely united.”
“Taxation has become an
instrument for the transfer of power,
freedoms and treasure from the people to the
- For a small reward, a man will hurry
away on a long journey; while for
eternal life, many will hardly take a
- Our Lord has written the promise of
the Resurrection, not in books alone,
but in every leaf in springtime (Martin
- Nature is too thin a screen; the glory
of the omnipresent God bursts through
everywhere (Ralph Waldo Emerson).
- There is something definitely healing
in the repeated refrains of nature—the
assurance that dawn comes after night,
and spring after the winter (Rachel
- In all things of nature, there is
something of the marvelous (Aristotle).
- Sin pays! What it
pays is death.
- Aspire to inspire before you expire.
- Let thy hope of heaven master thy fear
of death (William Gurnall, The Christian
In Complete Armour; 1665).
- We all want to go to heaven, but
nobody wants to do what it takes to get
there (Bill Watterson, Calvin and
- God has two dwellings: one in
heaven, and the other in a meek and
thankful heart (Izaak Walton).
|THINK ABOUT IT—
“All who have
meditated on the art of governing mankind
have been convinced that the fate of empires
depends on the education of youth.”
- “The man who
is not permitted to own—is owned.”
- “Liberty not
only means that the individual has both
the opportunity and the burden of
choice: it also means that he must bear
the consequences of his actions.
Liberty and responsibility are
Mayek, Nobel Prize Winning
--Trib-Bits, Decatur Tribune, 12-10-‘08
- ABRAHAM LINCOLN said: “You cannot
strengthen the weak by weakening the
strong. You cannot help small men
by tearing down big men. You
cannot help the poor by destroying the
rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by
tearing down the wage payer. You
cannot keep out of trouble by spending
more than your income. You cannot
help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do
--Trib-Bits, Decatur Tribune, 11-19-‘08
- The Bible stored on the shelf needs to
be stored in the mind if you expect it
to do you any good (Psalm 119:11).
- The Bible survives the ignorance of
its friends and the hatred of its
- The distance from earth to heaven is
not so much a matter of altitude as it
is of attitude.
- “It isn’t the things that go in
one ear and out the other that hurt as
much as the things that go in one ear;
get all mixed up and then slip out of
- "The word which God has written
on the brow of every man is Hope"
- A good sermon should be preached over
and over. Bad sermons should not be
preached at all.
- Church membership does not make one a
Christian any more than owning a piano
makes one a musician.
- The fellow who says he is as good as
many church members should be required
to specify which members.
- Some consider it a good sermon if it
was directed at somebody else.
- A sermon need not be a mile long if it
is only a few inches deep.
- People these days are so keyed-up and
stressed out that it is almost
impossible to put them to sleep with an
- The problem is not the church in the
world......it is the world in the
- Most middle-class Americans tend
to worship their work, to work at their
play, and to play at their worship.
- "I don't know why some people
change churches. What difference
does it make which one you stay home
from?" - From the Internet
"Don't let your worries get the
best of you. Remember, Moses started
outas a basket case."
- A loafer is a person who tries to make
both weekends meet.
- Continuing to treat a penitent sinner
like a sinner is the surest way to drive
him back to his sins.
- Following the path of least resistance
makes both rivers and men crooked.
- Sin is sin. It is not changed by the
passing of time, the number of
participants, or the degree of social
acceptance. Sin, unrepented and
unforgiven ends in death of the soul.
- Wild oats is a crop that needs no
fertilizer to produce thirty-fold,
sixty-fold, or a hundred-fold.
- Two things are bad for the heart:
running up stairs and running down
people. (Bernard Baruch)
- Supervising the improper activities of
people does not make them right.
- "A TART TEMPER never mellows with age,
and a sharp tongue is the only edged
tool that grows keener with constant
use." (Washington Irving)
- Journalism largely consists of saying
'Lord Jones is Dead' to people who never
knew that Lord Jones was alive. (G. K.
- "Nothing in all the world is more
dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity." (Martin Luther
- "Worry looks around, sorry looks
back, Faith looks up."
- Worry is life a rocking chair;
it will give you something to do but it
won't get you anywhere.
- The gambling known as business
looks with austere disfavor upon the
business known as gambling. (Ambrose
Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)
- Bacchus hath drowned more men than
Neptune. (Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia,
“Paper money eventually returns
to its intrinsic value—zero.” (Voltaire)
“A fool can no more see his own
folly than he can see his own ears.”
“If a man could have half his
wishes, he would double his troubles.”
“No man’s head aches while he
comforts another.” (Italian proverb)
- Blessed is the person who makes you
homesick for heaven.
- Satan doesn’t care what we worship as
long as it isn’t God.
- Italian Proverb: “The same fire
purifies gold and consumes straw.”
- “The test of character is not whether
you conform to moral standards when they
are the community norm, but whether you
continue to adhere to them when the
community strays elsewhere.”
- "You say, 'If I had a little
more, I should be very satisfied.' You
make a mistake. If you are not content
with what you have, you would not be
satisfied if it were doubled." (Charles
- "As we express our gratitude, we must
never forget that the highest
appreciation is not to utter words, but
to live by them." (John Fitzgerald
- "Enter into his gates with
thanksgiving, and into his courts with
praise; be thankful unto him, and bless
his name. For the Lord is good..."
(Psalm 100:4, 5a)
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT—
“Only when you are
silent can you learn something new.”
“A friend is
someone who is coming in when everyone else
is going out..”
conclusions doesn’t take as much exercise as
digging for facts
“Fools rush in
where fools have often been before.”
“So once in every year we throng
Upon a day apart,
To praise the Lord with feast and song
In thankfulness of heart.”
- Arthur Guiterman, The First Thanksgiving
"Without Thy sunshine and Thy rain
We could not have the golden grain;
Without Thy love we'd not be fed;
We thank Thee for our daily bread.
- The Old Year has gone. Let the dead
past bury its own dead. The New Year has
taken possession of the clock of time.
All hail the duties and possibilities of
the coming twelve months! — Edward
- "Prayer is today as powerful a force
in our nation as it has ever been. We as
a nation should never forget this source
of strength." — President Ronald Reagan,
- A Bible neglected by Christians will
probably be rejected by the world.
- Fingerprints on the Bible are more
important than footprints on the moon.
- No one can grow by letting others make
his choices and decisions.
- Once you ease your conscience by
calling something a necessary evil it
soon beings to look more and more
necessary and less and less evil.
- When it comes to doing for others,
some folks stop at nothing.
- You begin to cut your wisdom teeth the
first time you bite off more than
- you can chew.
- No one can have Christ as the
Savior of his soul, who will not let Him
be the Master of his life. -
- “A wise man will make more
opportunities than he finds.”
- "What one does, one becomes." (Spanish
- "A fat kitchen, a lean will."
- "Blame is safer than praise." [R.
- "Birthdays are good for you; the more
you have, the longer you live. "
- "Criticism is the disapproval of
people, not for having faults, but for
having faults different from ours."
- "A man of words and not of deeds / Is
like a garden full of weeds."
- "The average man's life consists of 20
years of having his mother ask him where
he's going, 40 years of having his wife
ask the same question, and, at the end
mourners also wondering where he's
- "Is it better to be old and bent or
young and broke? It's a toss up."
- Worry doesn’t eliminate tomorrow from
its griefs, but it does empty today of
- It is hard to fail, but it is
worse never to have tried to succeed. In
this life we get nothing save by
effort. [T. Roosevelt]
- No home can rise above the people in
- Back when a woodshed stood behind the
American house many cases of juvenile
delinquency were settled out of court.
- It is harder to hide feelings we have
than pretend to have feelings we lack.
- One who thinks he can get along
without others is mistaken. One who
thinks others can get along without him
is even more mistaken.
- Patience is the willingness to become
what you can be, and not a readiness to
accept what you are.
- Patience is when you can listen while
a fellow tells you about the same
operation you had.
- The trouble with patience is, the more
you have, the more people expect you to
use it with them.
- To be sure the bank of friendship does
not fail you must make frequent
- What you do not start you will not
have to stop.
- If you don’t strike the match
you won’t have to put out the fire. If
you don’t commit the sin you won’t have
to suffer the consequences.
- Anyone can count the seeds in an
apple... but only God can count the
apples in a seed. [Author Unknown]
- “At times, it is better to keep your
mouth shut and let people wonder if
you’re a fool, than to open it and
remove all doubt.” [Andrew
- “It is very difficult for an
individual who knows the Scripture ever
to get away from it. It haunts him
like an old song. It follows him
like the memory of his ;mother. It
remains with him like the word of a
reverenced teacher. It forms a
part of the warp and woof of his life.”
- “It seems that every family tree has
some sap in it.”
- Laughter: The shortest distance
between two people..
- Home is the place where we are
treated best and grumble most.